wrapper

Breaking News

 The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Shirley Ayorkor Botchwey says the two ex-inmates of Guantanamo Bay who are currently in Ghana will remain as refugees.

She told parliament on Wednesday, 24 January 2018 that the two will now become Ghana’s responsibility.

In August 2017, parliament accepted an agreement to allow the two, Mahmud Umar Muhammad Bin Atef and Khalid Muhammad Salih Al-Dhuby, to stay in Ghana, following a Supreme Court order. The Court had earlier ruled that their stay in Ghana was illegitimate without parliamentary backing.

In January 2016, the John Mahama-led government accepted the transfer of the two Yemeni ex-detainees from the United States of America into the country for a period of two years which ended earlier in January 2018.

The decision to host them created a controversy and public uproar among Ghanaians, with many expressing fear that the move would damage Ghana’s internal security and expose the country to attacks from religious extremists.

 

Last modified on Thursday, 25 January 2018
More in this category: « Police chase 3 for leaking sex video of headmaster and 18-yr old girl EJISUMAN SHS HOLDS A PRESS CONFERENCE TO CLEAR THE AIR »

Leave a comment

About Us

SilverOnline24.com is an online news portal.

We are accurate, fair and objective.

 

Silver FM Programmes

Has no content to show!